As we have seen in recent weeks from the newly released “Twitter Files” by Elon Musk, big tech companies, Democrat politicians and our intelligence agencies have been secretly colluding to censor so-called “misinformation” and “disinformation” that is shared on social media. They believe that it is imperative to do this to save our democracy. Over the last few years, many posts have been blocked and many accounts have been suspended for spreading who the people who control the information have deemed “misinformation” and “disinformation”. But in case you have forgotten, here is a list of all the lies that has been spread on social media over the last several years that have not been censored by those who control the dissemination of information.
· Covid-19 did not come from a lab.
· Covid-19 came from a wet market.
· Dr. Fauci did not fund gain-of-function research in China which created Covid-19.
· Hydroxychloroquine is dangerous.
· Ivermectin that people take for Covid is horse paste.
· Masks stop the spread of Covid-19.
· Covid-19 vaccines are safe and effective.
· Covid-19 was a pandemic of the unvaccinated.
· Protests of government lockdowns are super-spreader events.
· Protests of George Floyd’s death are not super-spreader events.
· George Floyd was a saint and martyr.
· George Floyd died of asphyxiation and not fentanyl overdose.
· The BLM riots were peaceful protests.
· White supremacy is the greatest threat to our country today.
· All white people are irredeemably racists.
· All black people are perpetual victims.
· Reparations is not theft.
· Diversity is our strength.
· Slaves built America.
· Black Lives Matter actually believes that black lives matter.
· Violent crime is not an issue.
· Black on black violence is a made-up stat by racists.
· Democrats do not have a racist history.
· Republicans are responsible for every act of racism in our history.
· Donald Trump is racist.
· Donald Trump is Adolph Hitler.
· Donald Trump is a pawn of Putin.
· Donald Trump tried to overthrow the government.
· Donald Trump stole nuclear secrets to sell to the Russians.
· MAGA Republicans are semi-fascists.
· January 6 was an armed insurrection.
· Barack Obama’s FBI did not spy on Donald Trump’s campaign.
· The FBI and CIA are not corrupt.
· The 33,000 emails that Hillary Clinton bleach bit off her computer were only about wedding plans and yoga.
· Bill Clinton and Loretta Lynch only spoke about golf and grandkids on the tarmac days before Lynch ordered the end of the FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton.
· Hillary Clinton was the most qualified Presidential candidate in our history.
· Donald Trump colluded with the Russians to steal the 2016 Presidential election.
· The 2020 elections were the safest and most secure elections in our history.
· Joe Biden received 81,000,000 legitimate votes.
· Joe Biden does not have early onset dementia.
· Joe Biden is not corrupt.
· Hunter Biden’s laptop was Russian disinformation.
· Hunter Biden’s paintings are really worth $100,000.
· Hunter Biden deserved $83,000 per month for serving on the board of a Ukrainian energy company.
· Ukraine is a thriving democracy, and not a corrupt oligarchy.
· Volodymyr Zelensky is akin to Winston Churchill.
· Ukrainian borders are sacred.
· United States borders are racist.
· The US southern border is completely secure.
· 4 million illegal immigrants have not walked across our border in the last 2 years.
· Border patrol agents on horses were whipping illegal immigrants.
· Republican law makers are responsible for the border crisis.
· There is no drug crisis in America.
· Vladimir Putin caused the increase in gas prices.
· Russia blew up their own Nord Stream pipeline.
· Gas prices are high because of greedy oil companies.
· Inflation is transitory.
· The term “recession” was made-up by evil Republicans.
· Sam Bankman-Fried is the next JP Morgan.
· The United States carrying a $31.4 trillion national debt is like a family carrying a $200,000 mortgage.
· Climate change will end the world in 10 years.
· Electric cars reduce the amount of carbon in the air.
· Abortion is not murder.
· Men can have babies.
· People can change their sex.
· Lia Thomas is a legitimate NCAA women’s swimming champion.
· Democrats care about the American people.
These are just a sampling of the many lies that have been told to us by the left and have been spread on the internet, and not one of these provable lies have been censored on any social media platform. Yet people who posted the truth which refuted many of these lies were actually the ones who were censored. And the people who have been telling us these lies and censoring the truth are the ones who want to have more power to censor social media for “misinformation” and “disinformation”. Social media should not necessarily be a free-for-all where anything and everything can be said. Posting threats of violence, pornography, and foul language can and should be taken down, but as we have seen recently, when we start censoring what the left calls “misinformation” and “disinformation”, it is the truth that gets censored and the lies that are amplified. We end up in a distorted world where we begin to distrust what we are plainly seeing with our own two eyes, and we are put into a state of confusion which is the most crucial step for the powerful to control us.
In the end, I would rather be lied to by a bunch of 30-year-olds wearing tin foil hats living in their mother’s basement spreading their ill-conceived theories on the internet, than a cabal of politicians and intelligence agents working to control us. The guys in the tin foil hats have no power over me. I can reject their lies, without repercussion. But the politicians and intelligence agencies have real power over me, they can enact legislation and pass laws that will punish me for rejecting their lies. Their lies can dictate the course of my life. Their lies can determine the direction of this country. And that’s why they are doing it. Under the guise of protecting the American people from the guy in the tin foil hat, the powerful in our country are seizing the power to censor the internet, not because the tin foil hat guy is actually a threat, but because they want to control how we think, how we speak and how we act. Every act of censorship, whether true or false, is the powerful seizing more and more power from the powerless.
Judd Garrett is a graduate from Princeton University, and a former NFL player, coach, and executive. He has been a contributor to the website Real Clear Politics. He has recently published his first novel, No Wind.